Blender 2.72 Description
Blender 2.72 is designed to be an Open Source and handy software that has been created to be a solution for rendering, animation, post-production, interactive creation, 3D modeling and playback.
Now you can make use of this accessible tool to edit all your projects.
- Revolutionary non-overlapping and non-blocking UI delivers unsurpassed workflow
- Flexible and fully configurable window layout with as many screen setups as you prefer
- Undo support on all levels
- Anti-aliased fonts with international translation support
- Any window space can be easily switched to any window type (curve editor, NLA, 3D view etc)
- Built-in text editor for annotations and editing Python scripts
- Graphical user interface for Python scripts
- Custom themes
- Consistent interface across all platforms
- Fast skeleton creation mode
- Interactive 3D paint for vertex weighting
- Fast envelope based skinning
- Automatic Skinning that really works (heat equilibrium based)
- Mirror editing (bone creation and weight painting)
- Double Quaternions reduce shrinking and other bone deformation errors
- Volume deformer uses a mesh cage to deform complex meshes with great results
- Bone layers and colored groups for better rig organization
- B-spline interpolated bones; forget about elbow twists
- Constraint stack for IK solver setup and other constraints
- PyConstraints; if you need something not yet implemented code it in python with real time feed back, no compiling needed
- Armature (skeleton) deformation with forward/inverse kinematics with pole target support
- Auto IK allows posing FK chains easily
- Non-linear animation editor for mixing individual actions created in Action editor
- Automated walkcycles along paths
- Animated constraint system
- Vertex key framing for morphing, with controlling sliders
- Edit and create new blendshapes from existing targets
- Character animation pose editor
- "Ipo" system integrates both motion curve and traditional key-frame editing
- Audio playback, mixing and editing support for sound synchronisation
- Timeline offers fast acces to many playback functions, autokey, help markers
- Python scripting access for custom and procedural animation effects
- Conformal and Angle Based unwrapping methods
- Interactive transform of UV maps by vertex pinning
- Proportional falloff editing of UV maps for smooth transformations
- Seam based unwrapping
- Cube, Cylinder, Sphere, View projections
- Catmull-Clark subdivition of UVs for less distortion
- Minimize stretch tool allows to reduce area distortion
- Multiple UV layers
- Particle system can be atached to any mesh object. Control methods include weight painting, textures, curve guides, wind and vortex effects. Particles can be deflected by moving geometry
- Hair strands can be created by a static particle system, supporting all particle control methods
- Fluid simulator with fully animated inflow, outflow, obstacle and fluid objects. Gravity and viscosity settings can also be animated. Supports vector blur and is integrated with the particle system
- Realtime soft body solver integrated in mesh, lattice, curve and text objects. Supports collision detection and particle field effects like Wind or Vortex, soft bodys can also be baked for faster playback/rendering
- Game engine rigid body physics can be easily baked into animation curves
- Very fast inbuilt raytracer
- Oversampling, motion blur, post-production effects, fields, non-square pixels
- Tile-based and fully threaded
- Render layers and passes
- Render baking to UV maps and object to object baking (full render, ambient occlusion, normals, textures)
- Render engine tightly integrated with the node compositor
- Halo, lens flares and fog effects
- Vector motion-blur post-process effect (using node compositor)
- Realistic defocus (DOF) post-process effect (using node compositor)
- Edge rendering for toon shading
- Interactive preview rendering panel in any 3d view
- Ambient Occlusion
- Radiosity solver
- Integral support for the Yafray render engine
- Export scripts available for external renderers such as Renderman (RIB), Povray, Virtualight, lux render, Indigo, V-Ray
- Compositor tightly integrated and aligned with the rendering pipeline
- MultiLayer OpenEXR files allow to store and reuse raw renderlayer and passes data
- Complete list of composite node filters, convertors, color and vector operators and mixers including Chroma Key, Blur, RGB Curves, Z Combine, Color Ramp, Gamma Correct
- Preview panel to define the portion of interest. A composite then only happens on this part
- Threaded and memory efficient (up to 8 processors)
- Near realtime sequencer can edit hours of video
- Waveform and U/V scatter plots
- Open and write many audio & video file formats using ffmpeg
- Can render using frameserver-support directly into foreign applications
- Supports float images as well as regular 8 bits images
- Curves tool allows you to create a mapping from the float range to a displayable result (for HDR images)
News in Blender 2.72:
- Cycles GPU rendering supports Volume and Subsurface Scattering now. The User Interface comes with optional Pie Menus now and the Tooltips have been improved. For Modeling, a new intersection tool has been added in Edit Mode. Texture painting workflow has been streamlined with easy access to painted images and UV layers. The Compositor now comes with a Sun Beam node. Freestyle NPR rendering is now available with Cycles as well. Additionally, Blender 2.72 features three new addons.
- Volume rendering and Subsurface Scattering are available on GPU, Volume and Glossy sampling was improved, new Ashikhmin-Shirley distribution for Glossy and Anisotropic BSDFs, memory usage during rendering was lowered, faster OSL rendering, Anamorphic Bokeh support, and better control over caustics.
- The long awaited pie menus are available as an addon for ├óÔÇíÔÇá Tab, Z, Q, ├óÔÇíÔÇá Tab├óÔÇí┬º ShiftCtrl, ., CtrlSpace operators. New Tooltip design makes important information more noticeable. Python text is displayed in a monospaced font. Blender Internal preview now behaves like the Cycles preview, it starts rendering at low resolution and improves from there. Improved units parsing, even though devs claim Blender not to feature a units engine it does a better job now.
- A new intersection tool was added, to quickly cut up geometry. It's a bit like boolean but not calculating interior/exterior.
- The Bevel Tool and the Bevel Modifier now have the option to set the material of the newly created faces to the material in a given slot.
- Texture painting workflow has been streamlined with easy access to painted images and UV layers, ability to generate strokes with curves and lines has been added, more blend modes are available and new tools to fill and mask have been added.
- A new Sun Beams node has been added to the compositor.
- A new Mouse Actuator allowing between other things to do mouse look has been added.
- The Property Sensor has new evaluation types.
- The TrackTo Actuator has new menus to select up/track axis.
- The Property Actuator has a new level mode.
- The Mouse Over Any Sensor has a new X-Ray and Property/Material detection options.
- A new BGE Debug and Contrainst Wrapper API have been added.
Freestyle NPR Rendering:
- The Freestyle line rendering engine has been integrated into Cycles in addition to the Blender Internal (BI). Freestyle provides Cycles users with a versatile non-photorealistic (NPR) line rendering solution. Most Freestyle options work in the same way for both Cycles and BI. Line textures in Freestyle for Cycles are defined by means of shader nodes (unlike Freestyle for BI, which relies on the conventional texture mapping and influence panels). New per-material Freestyle line settings provide a reliable mean to specify line colors applicable to both Cycles and the BI. The Freestyle Python API also has user-visible updates for better code readability and run-time performance.
Animation - More Features:
- Color ramps now support color interpolation in hue mode both clock- and counter-clock-wise. CtrlF in animation editors now works as a shortcut for activating the Filter by Name functionality. Weights now draw in wireframe mode in the 3D view. Temporary data gets deleted when closing Blender. The video editor got enhanced by a gaussian blur filter. New camera presets: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema and Blackmagic Production 4K.
Animation - Addons:
- FBX improvements: Import now supports armatures, shapekeys, animations, with shapekeys also being supported for export.
- New DXF importer with support for 3D(SubD) geometry, and geo-referencing. It imports curve types as curves and adds control over various geometry merge options.
- New UV addon for align distribution and copy/paste (!!) of UVs.
- New Game Publishing Addon is available for game developers!
- New addon for named layers & grouped layer management
- Also includes changes from the previous RC version