Blender 2.71 Description
Blender 2.71 is designed to be an Open Source and handy software that has been created to be a solution for rendering, animation, post-production, interactive creation, 3D modeling and playback.
Now you can make use of this accessible tool to edit all your projects.
- Revolutionary non-overlapping and non-blocking UI delivers unsurpassed workflow
- Flexible and fully configurable window layout with as many screen setups as you prefer
- Undo support on all levels
- Anti-aliased fonts with international translation support
- Any window space can be easily switched to any window type (curve editor, NLA, 3D view etc)
- Built-in text editor for annotations and editing Python scripts
- Graphical user interface for Python scripts
- Custom themes
- Consistent interface across all platforms
- Fast skeleton creation mode
- Interactive 3D paint for vertex weighting
- Fast envelope based skinning
- Automatic Skinning that really works (heat equilibrium based)
- Mirror editing (bone creation and weight painting)
- Double Quaternions reduce shrinking and other bone deformation errors
- Volume deformer uses a mesh cage to deform complex meshes with great results
- Bone layers and colored groups for better rig organization
- B-spline interpolated bones; forget about elbow twists
- Constraint stack for IK solver setup and other constraints
- PyConstraints; if you need something not yet implemented code it in python with real time feed back, no compiling needed
- Armature (skeleton) deformation with forward/inverse kinematics with pole target support
- Auto IK allows posing FK chains easily
- Non-linear animation editor for mixing individual actions created in Action editor
- Automated walkcycles along paths
- Animated constraint system
- Vertex key framing for morphing, with controlling sliders
- Edit and create new blendshapes from existing targets
- Character animation pose editor
- "Ipo" system integrates both motion curve and traditional key-frame editing
- Audio playback, mixing and editing support for sound synchronisation
- Timeline offers fast acces to many playback functions, autokey, help markers
- Python scripting access for custom and procedural animation effects
- Conformal and Angle Based unwrapping methods
- Interactive transform of UV maps by vertex pinning
- Proportional falloff editing of UV maps for smooth transformations
- Seam based unwrapping
- Cube, Cylinder, Sphere, View projections
- Catmull-Clark subdivition of UVs for less distortion
- Minimize stretch tool allows to reduce area distortion
- Multiple UV layers
- Particle system can be atached to any mesh object. Control methods include weight painting, textures, curve guides, wind and vortex effects. Particles can be deflected by moving geometry
- Hair strands can be created by a static particle system, supporting all particle control methods
- Fluid simulator with fully animated inflow, outflow, obstacle and fluid objects. Gravity and viscosity settings can also be animated. Supports vector blur and is integrated with the particle system
- Realtime soft body solver integrated in mesh, lattice, curve and text objects. Supports collision detection and particle field effects like Wind or Vortex, soft bodys can also be baked for faster playback/rendering
- Game engine rigid body physics can be easily baked into animation curves
- Very fast inbuilt raytracer
- Oversampling, motion blur, post-production effects, fields, non-square pixels
- Tile-based and fully threaded
- Render layers and passes
- Render baking to UV maps and object to object baking (full render, ambient occlusion, normals, textures)
- Render engine tightly integrated with the node compositor
- Halo, lens flares and fog effects
- Vector motion-blur post-process effect (using node compositor)
- Realistic defocus (DOF) post-process effect (using node compositor)
- Edge rendering for toon shading
- Interactive preview rendering panel in any 3d view
- Ambient Occlusion
- Radiosity solver
- Integral support for the Yafray render engine
- Export scripts available for external renderers such as Renderman (RIB), Povray, Virtualight, lux render, Indigo, V-Ray
- Compositor tightly integrated and aligned with the rendering pipeline
- MultiLayer OpenEXR files allow to store and reuse raw renderlayer and passes data
- Complete list of composite node filters, convertors, color and vector operators and mixers including Chroma Key, Blur, RGB Curves, Z Combine, Color Ramp, Gamma Correct
- Preview panel to define the portion of interest. A composite then only happens on this part
- Threaded and memory efficient (up to 8 processors)
- Near realtime sequencer can edit hours of video
- Waveform and U/V scatter plots
- Open and write many audio & video file formats using ffmpeg
- Can render using frameserver-support directly into foreign applications
- Supports float images as well as regular 8 bits images
- Curves tool allows you to create a mapping from the float range to a displayable result (for HDR images)
News in Blender 2.71:
- The Blender Foundation and online developer community is proud to present Blender 2.71. Much awaited new features for Cycles renderer include deformation motion blur, fire/smoke and volume rendering and a baking API. User interface now allows for draggable popups and resizable preview widgets. Animation has new interpolation types with "easing equations" presets. Modeling now allows to "split normals" and Sculpting/Painting has new HSL color wheel and constant detail in dyntopo. Game development now allows deactivating logic bricks, multi-threaded animations, cast only materials and "unlimited" action layers. Freestyle NPR rendering has a new textured strokes feature, along with line sorting options.
- Cycles now includes support for rendering volume textures, fire and smoke, deformation motion blur, baking textures from cycles materials, more texture interpolation modes and a dedicated UV layer node.
- More easing equations added to the IPO editor for better animation control, locking time to other windows is again possible, auto snapping is now independent from display type.
- The user interface now offers more feedback, especially on errors, updates driver expressions automatically on editing, includes more icons and offers more editing tools.
- New tools also include lasso selection support, non-linked duplication for strips, and setting preview range based on selected strips.
- The new per-face normals feature allows blender to display and export sharp edges correctly without geometry duplication.
- In addition, selection tools offer more options.
- New features include a HSL color wheel for color selection and tools to handle homogenous density in dynamic topology sculpting.
- Dyntopo and matcap display for sculpt mode have also had performance optimizations.
- UI to deactivate logic bricks, multi-threaded animations, shadows-only materials and more action layers are among the new features for the game engine
Freestyle NPR Rendering:
- Freestyle has been upgraded with textured stroke support. Textured stroke support makes it possible to apply patterns to the lines and simulate rough surfaces or different kinds of brush tips for the strokes themselves.
- Line sorting also gives artists more control over the order of line drawing
- Interface features include new icons for texture painting, resizeable preview widgets and draggable popups.
- More control for curve bevelling, explicit shadow cast control for blender internal materials, new distortion model for motion tracking and better handles for mask editors.